OMRON Forums

Trouble scanning Ethercat IO device

Hi, we've been struggling with a problem for many years.

We have an Ethercat slave I/O device that won't scan in the current firmware. We use Omron R88D-1SN servo drives, Omron ethercat splitters, various I/O devices, and all scan up fine.

When we connect this one particular I/O device we suddenly lose all ability to scan the Ethercat network. It doesn't matter how many other devices are in line with it.

If we do exactly the following procedure we can get it to scan...

1. Disconnect troublesome device from end of ecat network
  2. Power up PPMAC and other ecat slave devices
  3. Scan EtherCat network (succeeds)
  4. Put Master0 in Diagnosis mode
  5. Plug in troubled device
  6. Toggle master to INIT and back to Pre-Op
  7. Put Master0 back in Configuration Mode
  8. Scan the Ethercat Network
  9. It correctly scans all devices, including the troubled device, identifying the ESI file by Vendor, Product code and Revision Number

It still will not allow Ecat[0].Enable=1,

We were successful once or twice, but after saving the configuration and restarting the PPMAC it would not re-enable the Ethercat Master

On all firmware versions below 2.2.X.X we are able to get the device to work by forcing all slaves to Preop before scanning the Ethercat network.

The same device also worked fine with the old Etherlabs stack

We currently have to roll back all PPMAC's (CK3E) back to the older firmware in order to use them.

I have a bare-bones test setup with only the CK3E Vers. 2.7.0.0, 1 x Omron R88d-1SN servo drive, and the troublesome IO device

The vendor of the IO device says it works fine with their own proprietary Ethercat master and with other motion controllers, so are not able to help.

What can we try?

Here are some screenshots with it successfully scanned after toggling the Master state to Init and back to Preop, but the master still won't run.

The other image shows the EtherCAT scan failure message if I try any other method of scanning the Ecat network

Slave successfully scanned.png

Failed scan.png

I have taken a look at the posted ESI file and can see there are no “distributed clock” entries to synchronize this I/O device with the PMAC Master. 

The RAS (Remote API Server) error, 0x98110197 (EMRAS_EVT_CLNTDISC), indicates “Client disconnect. The remote client was disconnected from server.” The SLV (SLAVE) error, 0x98110024 (EC_E_SLAVE_ERROR), indicates “Slave error. A slave error was detected.”

My educated guess is this device is designed to operate in “free run” and probably only at low frequencies. You might try lowering your EtherCAT network clock frequencies to see if the unit will consistently scan and run without disconnection. It would be better to see if the manufacturer has an updated ESI file (and probably updated FW) with “distributed clock” entries.

On 5/14/2024 at 11:38 PM, steve.milici said:

I have taken a look at the posted ESI file and can see there are no “distributed clock” entries to synchronize this I/O device with the PMAC Master. 

The RAS (Remote API Server) error, 0x98110197 (EMRAS_EVT_CLNTDISC), indicates “Client disconnect. The remote client was disconnected from server.” The SLV (SLAVE) error, 0x98110024 (EC_E_SLAVE_ERROR), indicates “Slave error. A slave error was detected.”

My educated guess is this device is designed to operate in “free run” and probably only at low frequencies. You might try lowering your EtherCAT network clock frequencies to see if the unit will consistently scan and run without disconnection. It would be better to see if the manufacturer has an updated ESI file (and probably updated FW) with “distributed clock” entries.

Does CK3M support FOE mode? Upgrade  I/O slave device firmware through PMAC Master.

If the slave’s ESI file supports FoE, then there will be an “FoE” tab in the IDE’s EtherCAT “Device Editor”. It may require that EtherCAT be set in “Diagnosis Mode” to view this tab. The functions available there are dependent on the ESI file contents.

• Like 1