OMRON Forums

Automation Direct Motor Commutation Setup

timlockert

It appears as if the Automation Direct Line of SVM & SVL motors use Yaskawa Sigma 1 feedback devices. We have these on a GEO Brick 3 axis application with NC Pro2 software. I need a little help with the Hall Effect first phase finding setup. #1 Delay 5VDC encoder power on until some period after TPMAC2 power on. Does 10 servo updates sound good before $$? #2 I7015, I7025, I2035 all set to 2 for DeMux Gate control #3 Motor X Power-On Phase Position Address I181=X:$78000 (UVW bits will show up in bits 0-2 of status word) I281=X:$78008 I381=X:$78010 #4 Motor X Power-On Phase Position Format Ixx91 ????? My apparent problem here is that the motor cannot be turned to read ongoing hall states. How do you determine the proper UVW phase reference and associated value of Ixx91? Trial and Error? Does the Yaskawa device have an accurately registered Hall State that can be entered?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tim, #1: Yes. As soon as you have servo counts, it means that the Gates are up and running and it would be OK to power up the encoders and the gate will detect the auto cycle of hall data on C channel input. #2: Your settings are correct for I7015, I7025 and I7035. #3: The address settings for Ix83s are correct. #4: Yaskawa motors/hall sensors are aligned properly so you would end up with the same settings for Ixx91 every time. However, you have a point about the fact that you can not change the location of the motor since you wouldn't get the halls updated (I'm not sure about this and since I don't have such an encoder here to test, I can't be 100% confident about it. I believe the encoder actually transmits the hall sensor states as the encoder moves after power up in which case you just follow the steps described in Turbo User Manual for determining the correct value for Ixx91) So now it would be a question for you: When you power on the encoder after the controller is up and running and encoder cycles through the quadrature states, registering its hall states to the gate, does it keep on multiplexing the hall states and index pulse in the C-channel? You can test this by looking at suggested Mx28 of each channel while you rotate the motor shaft.

[quote='Sina' pid='664' dateline='1282854538'] Tim, #1: Yes. As soon as you have servo counts, it means that the Gates are up and running and it would be OK to power up the encoders and the gate will detect the auto cycle of hall data on C channel input. #2: Your settings are correct for I7015, I7025 and I7035. #3: The address settings for Ix83s are correct. #4: Yaskawa motors/hall sensors are aligned properly so you would end up with the same settings for Ixx91 every time. However, you have a point about the fact that you can not change the location of the motor since you wouldn't get the halls updated (I'm not sure about this and since I don't have such an encoder here to test, I can't be 100% confident about it. I believe the encoder actually transmits the hall sensor states as the encoder moves after power up in which case you just follow the steps described in Turbo User Manual for determining the correct value for Ixx91) So now it would be a question for you: When you power on the encoder after the controller is up and running and encoder cycles through the quadrature states, registering its hall states to the gate, does it keep on multiplexing the hall states and index pulse in the C-channel? You can test this by looking at suggested Mx28 of each channel while you rotate the motor shaft. [/quote][hr] Thanks Sina, I'll let you know what I find out. When I determine correct value for Ix91 for these motors I'll send that along too. The Automation Direct line is popular around here so a good setup will be usefull.

The Yaskawa Sigma I incremental encoders you have go through some interesting gyrations to get the Hall data to the controller without extra wires. They mux the U, V, and W Hall states onto the third channel, along with the index, based on the 4 possible states of the A & B signals. At power up of the encoder, it artificially walks the A & B signals through a full cycle (and back) without the need for any motion, so the controller will see all the Hall states. We designed the PMAC2 ASIC to be able to accept this format, but there are some tricky issues. The biggest one is that if you power up the encoder and the PMAC at the same time, the encoder walks through its artificial AB cycle before the ASIC is ready to take it. On a few products, we added a relay for the encoder power that would not close until the ASIC was configured. This helped, but was not always reliable. Finally, we got hold of the key Yaskawa engineers in Japan who told us that their own controllers kept cycling power to the encoder until they caught the artificial cycle. So that is what we suggest now, using the "invalid demux" status bit in the IC channel's status word. For the test that determines what Ixx91 should be, you do not need to catch this starting cycle, because you are using motion. The standard procedure should work. I do remember that the edges are not placed where they could be used by themselves for simple six-step commutation, which was a big surprise to me when I found this out many years ago. Instead, they are halfway in between those points. I believe Sina is correct that every motor should be the same, but I do not know what Ixx91 should be for these motors.