OMRON Forums

Thread-safe motion program

erikj

Hi, Is there a way to make a motion program thread-safe so that it can be called multiple times simultaneously from gpascii? I want to create a generic program that moves an arbitrary motor to a specified position. I want to be able to pass in the motor number, possibly using a P variable. I can easily use blocks of P variables assigned to each motor number to pass in other information (position, rate, etc), but I don't see a clean way to pass in the motor number while still maintaining thread safety (I don't want a second program invocation to step on the motor number used by the current runnning program). The only solution I can think of is to have a separate motion program for each motor. Thanks, Erik

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Erik, If you use CSGlobal variables (equivalent of Turbo PMAC Q variables) instead of Global variables (Equivalent of Turbo P Variables), as long as your instances of execution are in separate coordinate systems, your motion program would be thread-safe. You can also use sub-programs and pass the motor number and parameters as arguments to it where they will be accessible inside the sub-program as local variables and each instance will have its own set and there won't be any cross-talk. Regards,

• 2 weeks later...
[quote='Sina' pid='1240' dateline='1296493584'] Erik, If you use CSGlobal variables (equivalent of Turbo PMAC Q variables) instead of Global variables (Equivalent of Turbo P Variables), as long as your instances of execution are in separate coordinate systems, your motion program would be thread-safe. You can also use sub-programs and pass the motor number and parameters as arguments to it where they will be accessible inside the sub-program as local variables and each instance will have its own set and there won't be any cross-talk. Regards, [/quote] Hi Sina, A belated thanks for this advice. I have done what you suggested and have a generic move program working. I only have one motor connected now, but we plan on testing with multiple motors soon. regards, Erik