OMRON Forums

Changing direct-microstepping motor direction in GeoBrick LV

wlewis

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you please describe how to change the direction of a direct microstepping motor in a GeoBrick LV?

This motor has no encoder, so is using the standard ECT setup for a direct microstepping motor.

Can you clarify what you mean by "Change the direction"?

Direct Micro Stepping jogging works just like any other motors with J+ and J-. If you swap the two phases A and B, the direction of motor changes also.

Sorry, I'll give a little more detail.

At the moment, when I issue a "O1" command to give 1% output to the motor, it spins clockwise. What I want to have happen is for the motor to spin anti-clockwise with the "O1" command. I realise I could swap the phases, but I'd prefer to do this in configuration rather than changing the wiring.

Can you just use o-1? This will just command voltage in the opposite direction.

You can also change the direction by changing Ixx71 to the negative of what you have now.

I realize that if you are using direct microstepping, you probably do not need an encoder, and therefore what follows from A to B below does not apply to you:

A

In general, if you are using a motor with an encoder, then you also have to change the direction of your pulse and direction with I7mn0, i.e. if you have I7mn0=0, change it to 4, and vice versa; if you have I7mn0=3, change it to 7, and vice versa; and so on.

B

However, we do not recommend changing these settings to change the motor's direction. The best approach is to rewire your motor.

Sorry, I'll give a little more detail.

At the moment, when I issue a "O1" command to give 1% output to the motor, it spins clockwise. What I want to have happen is for the motor to spin anti-clockwise with the "O1" command. I realise I could swap the phases, but I'd prefer to do this in configuration rather than changing the wiring.

wlewis,

If you don't have real encoders on your stepper motor and you're only doing microstepping, you can change the rotation sense by setting Ix70 to negative value of what you have at the moment. (For microstepping we usually suggest Ix70=1 and Ix71=65536 which in your case Ix70 should be set to -1).