OMRON Forums

what files should I backup in Power PMAC project directory?

vanandel

I'm putting my Power PMAC project under revision control and need to know which files I should check in. I want to check in any files that I need to recreate the project, but not check any files that are produced when I rebuilt the project.

Obviously, I need to check in my source files, found under 'C Language' and 'PMAC Script Language'. I assume that I should checkin my .ppproj file. Do I need to backup any files under Bin, Configuration, Database, Log, Temp, or usrflash?

Are there any other files I should checkin to source control?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

vanandel,

If you are asking which folders contain the source files needed to recreate the project, yes, these files are in the PMAC Script Language folder and subfolders and C Language folder and subfolders. If you put the source files from these folders into an IDE project and build and download, the IDE will build the other files. You should also include pp_startup.txt in the Configuration folder; this file contains commands that will be sent to PMAC at startup or $$$, such as "enable plc 1" to start your startup PLC.

You may want to include the other files in the Configuration folder for the sake of keeping the Project backup comprehensive, but they are only used in development; the final, saved project will not use any of them besides pp_startup.

If that didn't fully answer your question, please let me know.

Does the project file contain absolute or project relative references to the files in the projects?

That is, does the project file specify c:\Users\\Documents\\C Language\Background Programs\capp1\capp1.c

or does it simply refer to \C Language\Background Programs\capp1\capp1.c (a reference within a project)

What I want to know is whether I can <> an existing project file to a new directory when I restore my source files, or whether I need to <> my project file whenever I create a new directory.

Thanks much.

The ".ppproj" file contains a list of all files included in the project. So, if you try to copy the same ".ppproj" file to a new directory with slightly different files in its subfolders, it may complain when you try to access some of those files in the project tree. Furthermore, your overarching solution cannot be renamed (although the Projects inside the solution CAN be renamed). So, it's recommended to create a new project and manually add the existing source files.

But, if you don't want to do that, it shouldn't complain too much and will probably just remove the "missing" file from the tree if it doesn't exist.

You should try it and see if the behavior is acceptable to you.

Let me know if you have further questions.