OMRON Forums

PTPd on PPMAC

jhenning

Hi,

About the problem of absolute timekeeping on Power PMAC, I wonder if anyone has experience with PTPv2 (IEEE1588-2008). SourceForge among others has a daemon available for Linux. If this locks in Linux time, then Sys.TimeOfDay should keep time with the PTP grandmaster clock, right?

Thanks!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not tried PTPd but I know that just installing the following package works for initializing the basic Linux time/date. Its not going to be nanosecond accurate but for basic tasks like file timestamping it should be perfect.

ntpdate

I believe you just need to do

apt-get install ntpdate

For details regarding installing software and the readonly filesystem stuff please see some other posts if you aren't already familiar with

this.

• 6 months later...

About the problem of absolute timekeeping on Power PMAC, I wonder if anyone has experience with PTPv2 (IEEE1588-2008). SourceForge among others has a daemon available for Linux. If this locks in Linux time, then Sys.TimeOfDay should keep time with the PTP grandmaster clock, right?

Hi jhenning and all,

did you manage to make the PTPd work on the PPMAC?

I understand that the HW PHP works with kernel version >= 3.19.3; does the newest PPMAC runs this linux kernel?

thanks

• 1 month later...

Hi jhenning and all,

did you manage to make the PTPd work on the PPMAC?

I understand that the HW PHP works with kernel version >= 3.19.3; does the newest PPMAC runs this linux kernel?

thanks

Piefum,

Sorry, I have not had a chance to try this out; still an open item. Let me know if you find out anything.