OMRON Forums

Ethernet connection issues

gmschoon

We have an issue with PMAC where the ethernet socket becomes unavailable for new connections, requiring power cycle to connect.

Setup:

- PMAC 465

- Firmware 2.4.0.180

- IDE 3.1.2.2

- rticplc, bgcplc running

The issue appears to correlate with incoming data/connections to the PMAC, and has been observed in the following scenarios:

- Build and download, fails during build process as well as during load process

- When sending commands to the PMAC

- Attempting to launch plot tool (throws error after trying to connect)

In all scenarios when the issue(s) occurs the following are true:

- Cannot connect IDE or if IDE is still running, cannot establish any new connections (terminal, watch, plot, etc)

- No response with ping

- Cannot SSH

- rticplc and bgcplc continue to run and any active windows (watch, position, etc) will continue to display live data.

Any suggestions welcome.

Make sure to disable all “green” (EEE) settings in your PC’s Ethernet card. These settings can abruptly terminate TCP/IP communications outside of the control of PMAC and the IDE.

Hello Steve,

since we experience the same problems (though I've learned to live with them *sigh* ) I can tell you, that these problems most likely don't connect to those settings.

If they were connected to these settings at the PCs end, it would mean, that other PCs could still connect to the PMAC, right?

I've checked with many PCs connected to the same network as the PMAC while the PLCs were running. But I could not connect from any machine to the PMAC, while it was in this condition.

So there are two possibilities:

1. Those mentioned settings are at the PC end, but break the ethernet at the PMAC (sounds unlikely, but would be an interesting solution, I'll try)

2. something else on the PMACs end breaks, and is not connected to the energy settings.

@gmschoon:

For a little help until there is a solution try the following:

1. extend in the project settings the projpp timeout time

2. set the Sys.BgSleepTime to a value greater than 1000 (default at 0 is 1000usec)

at least while uploading a new project verison this helped a lot regarding "time needed" and "pmac broken, need to pull the plug"

Greetings,

Georg

Make sure to disable all “green” (EEE) settings in your PC’s Ethernet card. These settings can abruptly terminate TCP/IP communications outside of the control of PMAC and the IDE.

Hello Steve,

since we experience the same problems (though I've learned to live with them *sigh* ) I can tell you, that these problems most likely don't connect to those settings.

If they were connected to these settings at the PCs end, it would mean, that other PCs could still connect to the PMAC, right?

I've checked with many PCs connected to the same network as the PMAC while the PLCs were running. But I could not connect from any machine to the PMAC, while it was in this condition.

So there are two possibilities:

1. Those mentioned settings are at the PC end, but break the ethernet at the PMAC (sounds unlikely, but would be an interesting solution, I'll try)

2. something else on the PMACs end breaks, and is not connected to the energy settings.

@gmschoon:

For a little help until there is a solution try the following:

1. extend in the project settings the projpp timeout time

2. set the Sys.BgSleepTime to a value greater than 1000 (default at 0 is 1000usec)

at least while uploading a new project verison this helped a lot regarding "time needed" and "pmac broken, need to pull the plug"

Greetings,

Georg

@Georg:

Thanks for the tips, we will implement the suggested changes to reduce lost development time, however the more worrying bit is having connections drop when the PMACs are networked with our higher level controller.

@Steve:

While energy efficiency settings could potentially cause a dropped connection, what we are seeing is an ethernet port that then seems to become unavailable until the PMAC is power cycled.

Has the r8169 ethernet driver changed recently and is it managed in any way by Delta Tau? Are there config options for the r8169 if the driver is compiled on the system?

Perhaps there is an upcoming firmware release to address this?

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Did you have to power cycle the PMAC or the computer?

General update:

We have found that the problem is effectively 2 part.

1) When building and downloading (tried with multiple PC's) we often get a hard WDT (red LEDs on the cards) at the start of the download stage and must power cycle the PMAC.

2) When we have the PMAC running and receiving commands form our high level controller we occasionally drop the ethernet connection (lights on the cards remain green, and all plc's continue running). A soft reset might recover this, however we have no choice but to power cycle the PMAC.