OMRON Forums

Jog a motor when a program is running

bradp

I don’t seem to be able to jog an axis while a program is active. I need to be able to do this. So, if I have X Y Z and A, I might be moving X and Y in a part program, but I need to be able to jog Z at the same time to get the proper focus on the laser.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This has to be done indirectly in our controllers. An axis in a coordinate system running a motion program, if it is not explicitly commanded in a move, is implicitly commanded to do a zero-distance, zero-velocity move to keep coordination with the other axes. It actually is executing zero-velocity equations of motion. However, it is possible to superimpose position following (a.k.a. electronic gearing) on top of the calculated motion, whether the calculated motion is explicit or it is implictly zero. What is very popular with many of our laser customers is to create a virtual motor that can be programmed in the vertical direction, with its integrated command output acting as a master for the position following function on the real Z motor. We even have quite a few that use some kind of gap feedback (capacitive or ultrasound) as feedback for this virtual motor, very easily creating an auto-focus for their laser, even over uneven surfaces. We should be able to show you how to do this next week.

• 6 years later...
The PMAC user's manual describes electronic gearing/position following very well. We have used this with jogs on the same axis in a motion program, and some details on that can be found in older threads of this forum if you search "position following".