OMRON Forums

OMRON EtherCat Drives

KEJR

I was reading some older posts on EtherCat drive testing and Sina had mentioned that one of the OMRON R88D-KN[]-ECT drives (G5 series motors) had been tested at Delta Tau.

It has been a long time wish of mine to have the compact japanese AC servo motor vendors plug directly into a PMAC (without an add-on module for cost and space reasons).

It looks like on the datasheet that these drives support the following modes:

• Cyclic synchronous position mode

• Cyclic synchronous velocity mode

• Cyclic synchronous torque mode

They also state that the distributed clock goes down to 250us. Does this imply that this drive can run a torque loop at 4KHz over Ethercat? That would be great for all of our compact servo motor applications.

We are also looking at EtherCat with regard to using the Beckhoff IO system, so this might be a good option for us.

Thank you,

KEJR

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was reading some older posts on EtherCat drive testing and Sina had mentioned that one of the OMRON R88D-KN[]-ECT drives (G5 series motors) had been tested at Delta Tau.

It has been a long time wish of mine to have the compact japanese AC servo motor vendors plug directly into a PMAC (without an add-on module for cost and space reasons).

They also state that the distributed clock goes down to 250us. Does this imply that this drive can run a torque loop at 4KHz over Ethercat? That would be great for all of our compact servo motor applications.

We are also looking at EtherCat with regard to using the Beckhoff IO system, so this might be a good option for us.

Thank you,

KEJR

You have to be careful with OMRON drives. I have had feedback that they get occasional B2 warnings with our controller? I'm not sure of the root cause of this since I obviously don't have their code to know what triggers the error.

In addition, in cyclic torque mode you must make sure that the drive has a scale factor for the torque command in their drive. By DS402 specification the torque command is written in thousandths of rated motor torque which would lead to horrible resolution.

Copley has a nice way of overcoming this with a scale factor in its drive. Check out their doc below

http://copleycontrols.com/Motion/pdf/Current-Scaling.pdf

Thank you,

KEJR