OMRON Forums

Problem with ACC-12C and UMAC

cdmize

I'm having trouble getting an ACC-12C to work with the JDISP port from an ACC-5E in a TURBO UMAC. The unit displays, but blinks. I've seen this before on setups I've done with TURBO1 PCI boards, but the problem would go away once I did writes to memory as instructed by Delta Tau as follows:

WY:$10D0,$16 ; tells PMAC this is a ACC-12C

WY:$10CD,$E,$13

I also had to slow down the CPU speed by setting I52 from 7 to 2.

These steps don't seem to work with the UMAC. The ACC-12C manual only gives instructions for memory writes for the non-Turbo PMACS. The memory writes above were given to me years ago by someone from the help desk for the TURBO. Are there a different set of memory writes I need to do for the ACC-5E ($78400 addresses)?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there,

Indeed, the ACC-12C manual does only indicate how to modify the display Wait States for a Non-Turbo PMAC. However, I37 in Turbo PMAC can also control I/O wait states. Page 35 of the TURBO SRM gives the example of issuing:

I37=$032403 ; Add 3 wait states for I/O, 1 for memory

and then issuing SAVE, $$$.

You can try playing with I37 to see if adding additional I/O Wait States will slow the communication sufficiently such that your display stops flickering. However, the Turbo UMAC CPU may simply be too fast and we cannot guarantee successful interface to ACC-12C.

I've attached the ACC-12C manual also for anyone else who may be interested in this post.

Acc12c.pdf

Note that the ACC-5E manual states the following:

"The value of Y:$10D0 (for Turbo UMAC) is set to $80 for Acc-12A (LCD Display). Set this register to $16 for

Acc-12C (Vacuum Fluorescent Display) or basic parallel output from the display buffer register. Set this register to

00 if the JDISP connector is to be used as an 8-bit parallel port."

You should only need to do this. If the cable is too long this could be the problem.

Steve,

Yes I've been setting the WY:$10D0,$16 as I used to do on Turbo1 PCI boards. I have an ACC-12A that I tested and it works properly with WY:$10D0,$80 on the ACC-5E. I also have an older ACC-12C that I just tested that works properly with the setting WY:$10

D0,$16 but the new ACC-12C1 just flickers no matter what setting. Is there any difference in the ACC-12C to ACC-12C1 that would cause this problem?

OK, I got it working. Turns out it will not work properly when powered through the short ribbon cable that comes with it. I powered it with 5V from the UMAC to its external power connector (removing the power jumper) and it works. I noticed it would not even display when I hooked it up to a non-turbo PMAC I had and it acted like it was pulling down the power supply. You do also have to set the memory location to tell it is an ACC-12C with WY:$10D0,$16. The old ACC-12C worked with the ribbon cable, it must not draw as much current as the new one.