OMRON Forums

Power PMAC System Setup - Where is Motor Data stored?

rvanderbijl

I have two development systems (one on my laptop and one on a target machine; primarily for debug reasons).

I use source control for the Delta Tau project, and most things seem to come across just fine. But the one thing I haven't been able to figure out yet is the Motor data in the System Setup. On my laptop (where I initially set up the motors), the data is populated properly. On the target machine, where I pulled the project from source control, I get the message when opening System Setup that no motors were configured.

What file(s) do I need to include to make sure I have the motor setup data transfer over as well?

And on that note, a list of files that should and shouldn't be in source control would be nice too, as it seems that the Power PMAC IDE creates a LOT of temporary files. Some of which it wants to see when opening a project, and some of which it doesn't appear to care about.

Thanks!

Robbert

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve,

Thanks for the pointer. However, where is this database stored? Can it be included in a source control solution so there is no need to do an additional export/import for every change made?

Thanks,

Robbert

This is stored in the System Setup database. You can export/import your motor setup from the "Database" menu.

The data is fragmented into multiple files on the PC so this would not be suitable for typical source control.

When we first started with PowerPMAC the setup feature looked pretty cool, but this scattering of multiple files and lack of source control made it not suitable for a team environment. The diagnostics afforded by the setup routines would have made a great tool for our field service engineers, but the inability to include this data with a project has made it useless.

The data is fragmented into multiple files on the PC so this would not be suitable for typical source control.

When we first started with PowerPMAC the setup feature looked pretty cool, but this scattering of multiple files and lack of source control made it not suitable for a team environment. The diagnostics afforded by the setup routines would have made a great tool for our field service engineers, but the inability to include this data with a project has made it useless.

Jeff,

Agreed. I'm also finding that the multitude of temporary files and auto-generated files is confusing source control applications as well. Especially when you don't include an auto-generated file like a text file in the log folder. Opening the project on a new machine, the system starts complaining that the file doesn't exist and won't generate it. Very odd... So I have to put these files IN source control in order to not make the IDE unhappy. But now I have constantly changing files without any changes to the actual project. It would be good if these kinds of issues could be taken into consideration for a future version of the IDE.

Robbert

You can export all user entered data:

1. Custom Motor data

2. Custom Amplifier data

3. Motor setup data

You can include the exported files into the project's "Documentation" folder. When the project is "transported to a different computer you can then import these in to the database.

Steve,

I completely understand the mechanism here, but unfortunately it's a bunch of extra steps you have to take every time you make a change and you commit to source control. Easy to forget if you didn't remember changing something in the setup.

And if someone else in the team modifies something, and you're not paying close enough attention when you clone or update your repo from the server, you may not know you have to import...

So if in a future version of the IDE, this behavior could be different (and instead of using a database, use a set of XML files to store this information in the project folder), that would make it much more compatible with source control. And much more intuitive for us developers who have to scratch our heads as to why part of the project didn't transfer with all the project files...

Thanks,

Robbert