OMRON Forums

How to configure Power Brick Controller into a slave

mel_xu

Hi, 

I am working on a communication between 2 Power Bricks LV-IMS Controller. If I am not wrong the Power Brick is set by default as as master. So, I bought a EtherCAT bridge EL6695 which permits communication between 2 EhterCAT masters and this module needs to be configure with TwinCAT.  Currently, from Power PMAC IDE, I can activate the EtherCAT network and the two slaves in the EtherCAT bridge can be detected too but not the second Power Brick. 

Perhaps, does anyone already did this type of communication or does anyone know if it is possible to configure the Power Brick LV-IMS into a Slave ?  (I found a document which says how to set Power PMAC as an EtherCAT Slave)

Thank you in advance !

Regards

Melissa

Power PMAC as an EtherCAT.pdf

I am not familiar with this particular document, but it is about a option that is not currently released for most form factors called PMAC slave.

I think of using a bridge to connect two PMAC networks as master to master communication. Here is an application note showing the setup and use of such a device. We have not tested this application note with the EL6695 and cannot comment on whether that would be acceptable hardware for this application.

Connecting Multiple Power PMACs over EtherCAT.pdf

Edited by Eric Hotchkiss
PMAC Slave is an option, not a base feature.
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Eric Hotchkiss said:

I am not familiar with this particular document, but it is about a option that is not currently released for most form factors called PMAC slave.

I think of using a bridge to connect two PMAC networks as master to master communication. Here is an application note showing the setup and use of such a device. We have not tested this application note with the EL6695 and cannot comment on whether that would be acceptable hardware for this application.

Connecting Multiple Power PMACs over EtherCAT.pdf 1.53 MB · 1 download

Did you tried to connect two PMAC networks as master to master communication with another type of bridge ? Then, which one did you use ? 

Regards

On 5/25/2022 at 10:27 PM, Eric Hotchkiss said:

I personally have only done master to master communication with the ECX-EC EtherCAT Bridge, by esd electronics. This is what is shown in the Application Note I posted.

The EtherCAT settings are very generic. It should work for other devices, I just haven't had a chance to try them.

The bridge ECX-EC should be configured first and can be configured with TwinCAT or esd workbench. I used TwinCAT for the EL6695 but it is no that easy to use it.

Which one did you use in order to configure the bridge ? Do you have an application note for that ?

Thank you !

Best regards 

So, you directly did the mapping from Power PMAC IDE.

Yes absolutely, that is why it was complicated with the EL6695. Not as simple as I thought.

I have another question about the wiring of the second master. I know that the port eth1 is reserved for EtherCAT communication on Power Brick LV. But I'm not sure if the Ethernet cable should be plug in the Eth1 port of the second master as well. 

Two EtherCAT bridge devices can be used to connect three PMACs as shown below.
I left out the computer connections on eth0.
The EtherCAT port on PMAC is sometimes labeled ETH1 and Sometimes labeled ECAT. I have labeled it "ECAT M" for ECAT Master.
Arrows pointing to nothing are to daisy chain extra EtherCAT devices.

image.png

In this configuration, PMAC 1 must transfer data between PMAC 2 and PMAC 3. They do not talk directly.

Once PMAC slave is available, it will be much easier to have multiple slaves together on the same network.