OMRON Forums

Phase/Servo/RTI errors when opening or closing IDE (Quad core)

JeffLowe

For many years now we have been operating our 460 UMAC with Phase/Servo/RTI at 16/8/4 KHz with near flawless operation. Admittedly, on some certain complex part programs the 460 will throw an insufficient calculation time error. Since implementing the Quad core, the same settings have worked well and have eliminated all instances of insufficient calculation time errors. However in trying to increase performance I have increased the clocks to 32/16/8, but I now get a burst of errors on startup. These can be cleared and the system almost works, however opening the IDE (4.5.2.9) the machine crashes hard with Phase/Servo/RTI errors. Looking at task manager does not show any undue CPU utilization (I am running "Balanced"). Dropping down to 24/12/6 does not resolve this. It seems that the communications tasks are preempting the real time tasks and I do not understand this. I do note the ps -a command shows a bunch of gpascii sessions. Also, when opening or closing the apps within the IDE (Tuning/Plot/Watch) generates bursts of errors. Is there anything I can do to make the hard real time tasks more robust so that they are not preempted by the IDE? (FW is 2.6.0.,1)

• 2 weeks later...

Test configuration: 24/12/6.  (41.6 usec, 83.3 usec and 166.6 usec )

After resetting Sys.MinPhaseTime=0 and MaxServoTime=0 the immediatly revert to 7.6 and 37.96 respectivly.

Opening and closing the Task Manager, the Sys.MinPhaseTime remains at 7.6 and the MaxServoTime Jumps to 107.24 which increases ServoErrorCtr to 33 and bymps RTIntrErrorCtr up to 2. Note there are 13 gpascii tasks.

Closing and reopening the IDE MaxServoTime jumps to 151.12. At this point there are now 14 gpascii sessions along with now two instances of geterrors.

Our developers are aware of this issue and looking for possible solutions. We've passed your results on to them in case it offers any additional insight.

We have a few different ideas for how to internally solve it, though I am not sure what the time table is as none of the "fixes" are particularly quick.

It's not an ideal workaround, but for now, we would generally recommend not opening/closing the IDE or many tools while the PMAC is actually running, but rather, trying to open any windows beforehand.

• 4 weeks later...

I am checking progress on this issue. Our application code also uses SSH and as such also will cause these errors. I have mostly stuck with defining the problem in terms of the IDE preempting servo and phase and generating errors that way, but the issue is larger than that. I would like to suggest that one approach might be to have a two tiered communications protocol so that normal communication (watch/position/unsolicited messages and so on would take place on a low priority basis on a separate port.

In any case, this bug is important to us to have some sort of fix.

• 1 month later...

As of now, it is still being worked on. We have a method we are exploring fairly strongly, but because it changes some parts of communication, we want to carefully consider the options and implications before we implement it. Honestly, that's not a bad idea. I'm not sure if it's feasible or what it would take to implement, but I will pass it along anyways.

I still don't really have a timetable to present for when this will be resolved, but we do hear it clearly and it is receiving an appropriate focus from our developers.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...